ONE OF THE BEST PLACES TO RELAX & ENJOY
In 1801 a certain Hugh Reveley, while on holiday from his work in Ireland, met, at a ball near the Coed y Brenin forest, a local Welsh heiress called Jane Owen. Within months they were married, and within a few years they were having a new house built, Brynygwin Isaf, a little lower down the river , further out from Dolgellau and in a more commanding position than Jane Owen’s Brynygwin Uchaf. The classical revolution in architecture was well under way, and the first part of the house was built in the graceful neo-Grecian style with columns and rounded walls. By the time that was finished in 1806 the fashionable classical style had changed from Grecian to Romanesque. Needing more rooms for their growing family they built on, in the newer style, what we call ‘Flat 2’. It is no surprise then that the house, exemplifying both classical styles as it does, is listed as being of special architectural interest.